Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mother's Day, Pas Deux

So, Mother's day was 3 weeks ago. I am finally composed enought to write about it.

I called my Mom on Sunday. We talked about an hour. About nothing, really.
Shortly before hanging up, she remembered that Tuesday was my birthday. SHe apologized for not posting my card yet. But, she would do it on Monday.

I got her a cell phone for Mom's day. It is her first. I sent it early, so she would have it. It is bright red. I wanted her to be able to find it easy. It is also one of those slider phones with a qwerty keyboard for texting. She is73. She took it with her to my sister's house for Mom's day dinner. My neice ,Val, tried to help her learn how to text.

Let's just say I don't expect a text anytime soon. The whole idea behind the phone is so we can contact her when she is out running around. My sister, Debi, takes her to Walmart for groceries and gets tired of waiting on her, so they separate to grocery shop. Having the phone will make it much easier for them to find each other.

Back to my Mother's Day.

My Hubs first words to me were "Happy Mother's Day! I Love You!" There was no card or gift, but he got me an extra candy bar from church. That's what our church does. We receive candy bars on Mother's Day. A few years ago, the ladies decided not to waste church money on cut flowers. For a few years we received flowers to plant in our gardens. Well, you can't make everyone happy with the selection and some people just don't want to have to plant them! We decided we would rather just have candy... chocolate candy. So, we get a choice of candy bars. There are always a few extra, so Hubs snagged one for me! It is the thought that counts.

My ex-husband, father of children, sent me a text. It was a picture of a gorgeous bouquet of red roses and wishes for a Happy Mother's Day. It cost him nothing except a few moments to hunt up a picture and type a few words. It truely is the thought that counts.

My sisters, neices, and a few cousins, and I all wished each other Happy Mother's Day on Facebook. There is no way we could have each reached everyone the same day any other way. It is the thought that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment